Explore a kid-size version of our community where kids take charge and lead the way. Around Town is bustling with opportunities to imagine and explore how people work, live and play together. Around Town features:
- Speed Zone – Get into the driver’s seat of a real CAT bus or let your hair down while cruising in our little red convertible. Fuel up before speeding off! Take a ride anywhere your imagination will take you.
Let’s Fight Fire – Suit up and take off in Engine No. 1. Drive the truck to the next emergency, grab the hose and put out the burning flames.
- Get Well – Come to the rescue in a mini-ambulance; turn on the spinning red light, dress in scrubs and grab your doctor's bag and care for newborns. Read real x-rays to diagnose and mend a broken leg - you can even send your patient home on crutches.
- Peek-a-boo Bay - A new calm, enclosed activity area for parents and their little explorers. Spend part of your day down by the bay where Marbleous babies up to 18 months play.
- On the Farm – Put your farmer hats on and care for the pigs and cows on the farm. Plant, harvest, and sort fruits and veggies on this modern North Carolina farm.
- My Market – Push a kid-size shopping cart through the grocery store, shopping for healthy food choices. Remember to weigh your produce before checking out!
- Let’s Eat – Pretend to be a chef or server. Cook up and serve a healthy meal with food purchased in the market and on the farm. At the end of the meal, clear the table and wash the dishes for the next customers.
- Act 1– Change into costume, take center stage and throw open the curtains to perform a show! Play with your favorite puppets too!
- All Aboard! – Be the conductor as you lead a train over the river and through the woods.
- Pet Vet - Help fix the oww in your Woof or Meow! Learn about compassion, responsibility and giving animals the loving care they deserve.
- Exploration Station - Little fingers and big imaginations both get a work-out as kids explore table top play scenarios. Go on a jungle safari, discover fun on the farm or create your own amazing structures. You never know what you'll find at Exploration Station. Children practice the important learning concept of symbolic play, while having fun together with their adult!
- Backstage Studio - Using different art materials each week, littlest learners are encouraged to create a masterpiece and will find success because there is no right or wrong in art. The creative arts are an important part of learning, discovering, developing coordination skills and expressing feelings.
- Ready, Set, School - Ready to play, ready for school! This brand new exhibit introduces young children to kindergarten. Pretend to be a teacher, explore the school day and discover fun ways to learn and grow together. The Ready, Set, School exhibit was made possible in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services.
- News Around Town - Kids hover to cover the stories in our pint-sized community in a brand new pretend helicopter and weather station. Sponsored by ABC11.
Duke Energy Progress is also a generous sponsor of Marbles' Grow Up Green educational initiative.
On the Farm Sponsors
Thanks to the following businesses who have supported in the efforts to renovate this gallery.
Brock Contract Services
Clearscapes Architecture & Art
EHG Environment & Demolition
Hodges Welding & Fabrication
Langdon & McKenzie Painting
Whitaker Mill Woodworks